Licking Memorial Health Systems - History
During the late 1890s, a dozen or more women in Newark saw the need for a Hospital. Their vision was a bit difficult since these women were in possession of neither
property nor money. Soon, nine beds were donated, along with food, bedding and other supplies,
and Newark residents pitched in with donations of 50 cents to $50 each. On December 20, 1898,
the Newark Hospital Association was incorporated as a not-for-profit organization. The Association
opened the area’s first Hospital in a nine-room house at 154 North Third Street.
In 1914, the Hospital was moved to a newer and more modern structure at the corner of
Buena Vista Avenue and Everett Avenue and named Newark City Hospital.
In 1966, 81 patients were moved into the innovative and technologically advanced healthcare facility we know today as Licking Memorial Hospital (LMH).
In 1987, the Development Council was formed to support the Licking Memorial Health
Foundation. The Foundation is the fundraising and resource development organization
for Licking Memorial Health Systems (LMHS).
In 1995, the Licking Memorial Health Professionals (LMHP) Corporation was formed. Today,
there are 100-plus physicians in various practices. Physician offices are located
throughout Licking County, including Granville, Hanover, Heath, Hebron, Johnstown,
Newark and Pataskala.
Today, the LMHS staff consists of more than 1,600 employees working in many areas. Physicians, nurses, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, cooks, housekeepers, accountants,
engineers, computer specialists, laboratory technicians, administrators and many others work
diligently together to provide the best care for patients and visitors. In 2013, LMH celebrated its 115th anniversary.